Wednesday, October 17, 2012

DOG VACAY


dogvacay logo
How to Host — June 21, 2012 12:15 am

5 Preparation Tips For Your Dog’s First Vacay

Posted by 
Sending Frou Frou out for her first Vacay can be a little nerve-wracking. Take comfort in knowing that all of our DogVacay hosts are hand approved (not everyone makes the cut) and many of them are vets, professional trainers and all of them are avid dog lovers. Here are some things you can do to make sure your precious pomeranian has the time of her life on vacay.
  1. Make sure the guest dog and resident dog have a chance to meet at a neutral location. Whether it’s taking a short walk around the neighborhood or meeting at a local dog park, having the dogs meet in a neutral location ensures that the resident dog doesn’t become territorial. Also, meeting in a neutral location allows the your dog to find their place in the pack.
  2. Schedule a Meet and Greet: Scheduling a meet and greet is so important because it gives you, the DogVacay host and your dog a chance to meet and make sure their home is right for your dog. Also, it’s a great chance to discuss your dog’s health, temperament, diet and any other special needs.
  3. Be honest! Being clear and detailed about your dog’s condition will help the host to take the best care of your dog. Let your host know about any food allergies your pup has so that they can be sure not to feed them something incorrect. If your dog has any temperament issues or fears, relaying that information to the host will help them know what to avoid and how to prepare for it.
  4. Know what to bring: Packing for your pup is almost like packing up your kids for summer camp. You want to make sure to pack your pooch things that he needs and things that will remind him of home. Even though your host may have some dog food prepared, bring your dog’s normal food to ensure that he won’t have an upset stomach.  Make sure to pack your dog’s leashes and collars, water and food bowl and any dog beds or toys your dog is accustomed to. Also, if your dog has separation anxiety, pack a T-Shirt that smells like youso your pup will feel more safe and secure.
  5. Confirm pick up and drop off times beforehand: This makes sure that both you and the host are clear on when the vacay begins and ends. Also, stay in communication with your host, if for some reason you are unable to pick up your dog on time, let your host know so they can plan accordingly.
  • Share this post:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg

4 Comments

  • I will be away from September 11 through 25 and my 2 dachshunds have always been by my size 24/7. They will be boarded and I am having problems making decisions for them. I want them to always be together.
    I want them to be taken well care of and not stressed from my being gone for so long. Most boarding fees are more than I can afford, but I will manage. I live
    in Cumming, GA. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
    I have a neighbor who has volunteered to come walk
    my doggies several times a day, but she doesn’t even
    walk her own dog on a regular schedule so I am very
    hesitant to depend on her to take care of my two. Any
    wisdom from any of you will be most appreciated.
  • Do the hosts here actually use the calendar? I have had a sudden death in the family and need to travel.
    My first meet and greet on this site was declined due to another dog being booked even though the calendar provided was empty.
    I have two more requests pending and nothing else close in my state.
    I’m hoping this site isn’t all just false hope in my area.
    I would like to know where to put the review of a client who apparently doesn’t use the sites tools but see her profile no longer. Is this simply because my meet and greet was denied or has she removed her profile?
    Thanks
    • Hi Angie, our deepest condolences. Hosts actually do use the calendar so go ahead and head to dogvacay.com/dog-boarding and search by date.

Leave a Reply

 — required *
 — required *

No comments:

Post a Comment